Do you have yellow, discolored, or stained teeth?
Dr. Joseph P. Cavallo provides custom teeth whitening treatment to patients for brighter and whiter smiles. But how do teeth become discolored in the first place, and what can be done to reverse tooth discoloration?
What Stains and Discolors Teeth?
There are several common causes of tooth discoloration, yellowing, and staining:
- Smoking and tobacco products: Nicotine, when in contact with oxygen, turns yellow. Tar naturally stains teeth. Years of smoking and tobacco use will yellow teeth and discoloration that can be difficult to remove, but removable with professional whitening.
- Certain fruits, sodas, tea, and coffee: These foods and drinks can stain teeth. Sugar found in sodas especially can cause cavities and other dental problems.
- Medications: Certain antibiotics and antihistamines can cause discoloration.
- Age: As we age, our tooth enamel can wear down, showing the dark underlayer of dentin. Dentin also natural yellows over time.
- Injury: Teeth that become chipped due to an injury can become discolored.
- Oral care: Poor brushing and flossing habits keep teeth from staying white.
Some of these causes of tooth discoloration can also cause tooth decay and cavities. It is important to get professional whitening treatment that improves oral health and the appearance of teeth.
Teeth Whitening Treatment
Over the counter whitening treatments don’t deliver the results that professional teeth whitening can provide. Over a couple of weeks, our whitening treatment can whiten your teeth up to eight shades.
To begin the process, Dr. Cavallo will create a custom bleach tray to hold the whitening gel for your teeth. The tray is created to conform to teeth and evenly distribute the whitening gel. You can wear the trays in your mouth for several hours per day for effective results.
Results can vary from person to person and can last for six months with the proper oral care. Avoiding staining foods and drinks also help to keep teeth white.
Schedule an Appointment
Do you want a whiter and brighter smile? Tired of discolored and dull teeth? Call us today at (703) 490-5888. You can also schedule an appointment with us online here.